Sunday, June 19, 2011
Showered with love...and pasta


Last weekend two of my best girlfriends—and the masters of all parties bridal—Sara and Lauren, threw me a wonderful bridal shower. After the blowout bachelorette weekend they orchestrated in Las Vegas it really wasn't necessary, but I was glad to be thrown a shower attended by some of my favorite women.

We tend to be an original bunch and our weddings and parties reflect our personal interests (see summer camp-inspired wedding for more on this). Me being the foodie and want-to-be cook that I am, Lauren and Sara decided to teach me and all in attendance how to make pasta from scratch. And I mean scratch, the way they do it in Italy. No food processor. No electric mixer. Hands. Knife. Table. What more do you need?

This idea stems from two key facts: First, after Lauren graduated from college she was lucky enough to move to Italy for six months with the sole purpose of learning how to cook Italian food. Second, when Chris first met Sara and Lauren, Lauren taught us how to make pizza (again from scratch and yes, the way they make it in Italy). To which Chris responded: "Can't we just go out for beers or something?" No Chris, we can't. He soon learned that my friends (our friends now) don't ever just do anything. We attack life with style and spunk, and a bridal shower or meeting someone's new boyfriend is no exception.




Now, I'm never surprised when the girls come up with something wonderfully fun and original because I've known them too long and they do great things like this often. However, I am always really amazed at how lucky I am to have them in my life. After we had my nearly 80-year-old grandmother and my good friend Shelby cranking out linguine and my mom and others cooking up sauces, we were left with a delicious meal. So, naturally we ate and drank wine and enjoyed the fruits of our labor.


Here's to good friends, good family and good food, and to doing it all again in less than two weeks!


Posted by Kelley at 8:50 PM | 2 comments