Sunday, November 8, 2009
What happened to October?


As you may have assumed from our dormant blog, October and the beginning of November was pretty much non-stop busy for us. Chris has been going full speed ahead with his English and Spanish requirements, while I just finished my first week of student-teaching.


I am teaching juniors in an American literature class at a really large high school (3,500 large). So far I am really enjoying it and the students keep me laughing all day. But it is also completely draining. I teach only one class, and yet I feel like I'm lesson-planning and grading all day afterward. Needless to say, it has given me a tiny insight into what is to come when I have upwards of 180 students next year (pant, pant, pant).

I'm also learning a lot about what it is to be 16 in 2009. This week I learned from one student what "MOB" music is (money over bitches) and that they will not hesitate to answer formal questions with "IDK" (as in "I don't know"). When I asked them to silently line up in order of birth date to put them into groups, the only sound was someone's cell phone ring playing Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA." They teach me something about teen culture everyday and it is both completely amusing from a human standpoint and completely frustrating from a teacher standpoint.

So what did we do during October besides study, teach, and lesson-plan? Mostly there were a lot of pizza nights, with some babysitting sprinkled in here and there. But there was also a visit by Scott that we neglected to de-brief. I think that in the semester ahead, when I'll be student-teaching practically full time, we may just pop up photos here and there if we just don't have time for the words. With that in mind, here are some photos from October...






Posted by Kelley at 9:15 PM | 0 comments